Time for a break, I sit down, take my grapefruit and plan on enjoying this nice piece of fruit. Normally I would cut it in half and use a spoon to eat it, but since I am at work I decide to peel it and eat it like an orange. Jummie.
It has a tough peel, tougher than I am used to. Normally I can break it open using my nails, but that does not work with this one. Well, no knife at hand, so I will use my teeth, even though I really don’t like the taste.
I start Peeling it when I suddenly realize… my tongue is tingling, my lips feel like they are burning a bit…is this OK? I know I am not allergic to grapefruit. I eat those regularly.
I come to the realization that this could be a result of pest control substances. Is it poisonous?
Wil it kill me? I know it won’t be that drastic, but I like to be a drama queen in my head. Just like my stories before bedtime, I see a whole story unfold in my head.
It takes a while for the stuff to get into my body, the doctors can’t explain why I am dying. It takes days for them to do tests and a lot of effort to keep me alive. They did not listen to me when I told them about the thought of pest control substances, but after a few days some doctor says: “let’s take this thing she said into account to find a cure”. At that point they find out what poison is in my body and the safe my life just in time.
But seriously, how come this tingling/burning happened after I bit the peel? I’ve never had this happen before, but then again, I never bite the peel because of this bitter taste it has. If it is not poisons used to keep creepy crawlers at bay, then what is it?
My mind goes wild again. Maybe it is something made in a laboratory that was put on this grapefruit especially. Secret agent like people are keeping an eye on me now, because they want to know what the stuff put in/on this piece of fruit will do to someone. After I while I won’t need my glasses anymore, my hearing gets better, I get stronger. I become an enhanced human being and then they will recruit me to make the world a better place!
No, that won’t be it. Highly improbable. It could be a person that hates grapefruits or marketplaces that has spilled a poison on purpose, in hopes people that eat the fruit or go to the market will die and no-one will want to go to the market anymore. This is his revenge for a bat piece of fruit or for waiting in line to long or because he did not like the way one of the sales people has looked at him. Or maybe because another visitor of the market has bumped into him once without apologizing.
It could be this person normally buys grapefruits, and the poison was meant for him/her and now I ended up with the thing and die.
Or maybe it is a fact that I am developing an allergic reaction after all. I can’t eat (fresh) pineapple without my throat clamping up a bit either. Time will tel. As long as I am able to breath after eating those things, even though with less capacity than normal, I will eat them!!